Monday, November 23, 2015

Georgia: 2 days in Atlanta

Atlanta holds a special place in my heart as the "City of Angels". When I was travelling solo in US, I've lost count of how many time I've got myself lost. Unfortunately, this is the reality of travelling, but it keeps everyday real. My biggest fears are: 1. Don't have a place to spend a night. 2. Missing transit to my next destination. And I nearly got in all these situations in Atlanta. However angels are everywhere in this city. A girl provided me so much comfort in the bus, a host in Atlanta offered me a place to stay last minute and picked me up at the station half past midnight, another girl led me to the greyhound station even thought she had to miss her home game and her friend scolded her for it! Like they said, everything happened for a reason, I thank God for helping me to restore my faith in unconditional kindness, and I promise to keep the chain going...
   

Day 1: Downtown

R. Thomas Delux Grill

Ordered an all-organic breakfast and a cup of tea (southern staple)! And here you can find the cutest, funkiest decorations, southern style! Thumbs up up up up!

Centennial Olympic Park


Located in downtown, this public park was built prior to the Centennial 1996 Summer Olympics.
Highlight: Fountain of Ring, Engrave Bricks
Take your time and watch a musical fountain show at the Fountain of rings, watch children play in the fountain, or better yet, join in the fun!
Don't forget to check out some interesting places surrounding/near to the Centennial Olympic park: World of Coca-Cola, Georgia Aquarium, Georgia World Congress Center, SkyView Atlanta, the CNN Center, College Football Hall of Fame and Georgia Dome. All within walking distance!

CNN

Malaysians who plan to visit CNN building: please grab lunch at the food court and try to find news about Malaysia on the long strips of "important events" thumbnails on the ceiling. Clue for you: It appears not once but twice.

World of Coca-cola

The reason to visit this place is obvious. Don't lie to me, I know you LOVED coca-cola as a kid, however you might change your mind after you read all those negative articles about the product, but admit it: you still drink it!

Walk around in Downtown. 

I did not know where I was going but there were streetcars running around town for free, so I just hopped on.

Buckhead

It took me nearly 2 hours to get to Buckhead ON FOOT! Sure I could've taken a Marta, but walking sounded healthier or I just had too much time to kill?... This is an uptown district of Atlanta. A destination to experience beautiful mansions, high-end dining, shopping and more!


Day 3: Midtown and a little Downtown

Peachtree Street


The Peachtree Street is the main street of Atlanta. According to my host, everything happens on Peachtree Street, it even appeared on Sir Elton John's album cover once. It is also featured in Margaret Mitchell's Civil War romance Gone With the Wind, and unfortunately years later the author herself was struck death in an accident, coincidentally, on this very street.

look at the architecture.

The Walking Dead

Are you a fan of the Walking Dead? If you are, you've come to the right city. Join a "Atlanta Movie Tour" for all the behind the scenes stories, or simple google up places of interest and let google map lead you. Its not hard to figure out why Atlanta is the perfect setting for the popular TV series: look at the architecture around, and what did I found? Every corners screaming "Brutalism!" (blank cement walls, harsh looking building, simple plain design...)
*special thanks to Bred for pointing this out to me.

Piedmont Park

A urban park in Midtown it is! Locals come here to jog, play a sport, walk their dogs, bike, skate and spend precious family time. It is "the place to go" to relax your mind and soul (especially after too much visual stimulation+excitement for the pass 6 weeks.)

Botanical Garden

Since the Piedmont Park is connected to it, don't leave before checking out the Botanical Gardens too! There were beautiful light installations and exhibition after dark featuring light bulbs on certain days of the week (although, I am not sure it is permanent or on rotation. )

Walk around in Midtown


Tips: 
1. Drink a Coca-Cola fresh from the Coca-Cola world headquarter in downtown.
2. Order an "Arnold-palmer", a half and half mix of iced tea and lemonade.
3. Buy a MARTA Breeze Card for public transport.
4. If you are planning to check out some paid attraction, a Atlanta CityPass will save you a lot of time and money.
5. If you dine in Five Guys Burger, the peanuts at the side of the counter are FREE.
6. Be kind, always.


Thank You for Reading! 
This post is based on mypersonal experience. 
Feel free to share your thoughts with me by commenting below!

No comments: